And so, the pie redeemed the crisp.
This was the second of four desserts (two more to go!) made from the apples collected during our October adventure. I can’t recommend this recipe enough.
- 2 frozen pie crusts
- 6 cups apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
Step-by-step directions after the jump.
1. Throw apple slices into a bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss.
2. Combine sugars, flour and spices and stir in apples, tossing to coat evenly.
3. Place apple mix into bottom crust. Dot with butter.
4. Place second crust over filling and crimp edges. Cut several vents in top crust.
5. Place in preheated 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Then lower heat to 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Slice and serve!!!
Since the frozen pie crusts usually come in batches of three, may I suggest pumpkin pie for the third? I made this one from a can of pumpkin pie mix, an egg and some evaporated milk. Don’t forget the whipped cream (as I did in the picture).